There are some days when we become so completely overwhelmed that we just want to go and hide until the day is over. I think we have all felt like this at some point. Life just gets to be a bit too much and we long for a break from our own thoughts.
Stress is the culprit. No doubt that the enemy loves this one. Nothing good happens when we’re stressed. We make bad decisions, our bodies suffer and so do the people around us. Here are a few things I try to do to help manage the onset of stress.
1. Change focus: Stress often activates in our minds when we focus on something we’re concerned about non stop. So, when I find that something in particular is weighing me down I do my best to change my focus to Holy Spirit. In the presence of Holy Spirit there is peace.
2. Get some fresh air: Getting outside of any four walls can also help. When you feel like you’re trapped in your thoughts and inside in general it can become overwhelming. Going for a walk or run outside in the fresh air can be very helpful.
3. Pray about it: Some people like to talk about their problems with friends or family. That can be beneficial but at some point, sooner rather than later, it’s best to take it to God in prayer. Tell Him how you’re feeling and what’s bothering you. Ask Him to guide you in your actions and trust Him.
4. Change perspectives: Sometimes we get so caught up in our emotions we don’t stop to think that what we’re going through is providing a great opportunity for us to grow in Christ. It may not seem ideal to us but, we learn to trust God on different levels with the trials we go through. Constantly remind yourself that this is an opportunity to see God move in an amazing way.
5. Laugh: My husband is a big help in this area for me. Sometimes I become so consumed that I just cry. Crying can be really good for the soul so don’t be afraid to let it out if you need to. But, while I’m crying he’ll hold me and break down what’s bothering me into little pieces. Suddenly it all becomes so trivial and we just start to laugh about it. A good ole comedy could help put you in a good place too.
At the end of the day we are human! We’re going to get a little stressed every once in a while. Knowing that we are not alone no matter how alone we may sometimes feel is key. It’s ok to have a moment but what we can’t do is allow that moment to turn into our every day. What are some other things you like to do to help manage stress?